>>> What if there was a method that could help you communicate effectively about technical concepts like databases without actually knowing how to code?
>>> And what if this set of techniques could also help you learn a new business domain more quickly, by asking super intelligent questions that drill into key misunderstandings before they create issues like missed requirements?
You know that we’re seeing more and more business analyst jobs ask for data modeling techniques like ERDs, system context diagrams, data dictionaries, and data maps. And the best, career-advancing projects are those that integrate systems or move data from one system to another.
What’s more, these same techniques – the ones popping up all over the place in the BA job market – can help business people communicate more effectively about technical concepts and technical people communicate effectively in a new business domain.
Would you like to create clearer conversations, work on the most career-advancing projects, while qualifying for more business analyst jobs?
I’ve got the course for you.
I’m Laura Brandenburg and I’ve been a business analyst since 2002. I created Bridging the Gap back in 2008, and we’ve helped over 1,000 professionals like you start successful, fulfilling careers in business analysis.
I’ve done data modeling on dozens of projects and my not-so-well-kept secret is that I’ve never written a line of code and I don’t know SQL! But that doesn’t stop me from being sure the data requirements on my projects are fully documented so we don’t overlook any requirements.
In fact, my lack of coding knowledge is often my biggest strength. And so can yours.
To help you cut through requirements communication clutter and expand your business analysis skills, I’ve put together a virtual online training program – Data Modeling for Business Analysts. You will learn essential, career-advancing data modeling techniques at your own pace, with our certified, expert instructors just a click away.
When you use these techniques, you’ll look like the smartest person in the room, even when you feel like you’re not!
What’s more, successful completion of the course earns you 12 PDs or CDUs for IIBA® certification or re-certification, and 12 PDUs/Contact Hours for PMI® certification. And you can even get credits for work you are already doing anyway since we count your real-world application of the course materials (that you receive confidential, real-time instructor feedback on) against your credits for the course.
How to start applying
data modeling techniques
Now at this point, the big question you probably have is what are these techniques and how can you get started applying them right away.
Fortunately, learning data modeling doesn’t have to be difficult. We’ve put together a very flexible, virtual class covering the most critical data modeling techniques you need to know.
When you join Data Modeling for Business Analysts, you get the core lessons covering all of the key data modeling techniques and the core concepts you need to know to successfully model data, talk to business stakeholders about their data requirements, and communicate those requirements to the technology team.
I’ve broken up this training into individual modules where you will learn to create each data model. The course is very hands-on, and you’ll leave not just with theoretical knowledge but practical application creating these models in your own business or technical domain.
5 data modeling techniques
- Glossary – How to clarify business terminology to quickly learn new domains and expertly break down jargon.
- Entity Relationship Diagram (ERD) – How to bridge gaps between business concepts and technical database design using a simple, visual format that really engages stakeholders.
- Data Dictionary – How to organize and drill down into the detailed data requirements. You’ll also take away the essential concepts you’d glean from an introductory SQL class.
- System Context Diagram – How to visualize the information flows between systems and clarify boundaries that speeds up the scoping and elicitation process.
- Data Map – How to manage data flows in data migration and system integration projects, so the business users have the information they need to run their business effectively.
No Tech Background?
Inside the course, you’ll learn exactly what you need to know about data modeling without getting too technical. You’ll learn exactly how to talk data, with the business and with tech…
I mentioned how my lack of a technical background is actually my greatest strength when it comes to data modeling – just like it can be for you – and here’s why that’s the case.
- First, it means I have to look at the data conceptually. Since I can’t dig into the code, I have to use a model. And that model often clarifies technical concepts for me AND my business stakeholders.
- Second, it means I have to ask questions. And the models empower me to ask a lot of super intelligent questions.
Where others might make assumptions and miss requirements, those of us without a technical background have to fall back on our models. And the models give us the layer of insight we need to drill into the details, even if we don’t know how to code.
Because I know those of you without a tech background think of data modeling as just a bit scary, even though it absolutely doesn’t need to be, I came up with some extra bonus modules to make sure you have everything you need to be successful.
- Bonus #1 – Crash Course on Relational Database (SQL) Concepts – Be prepared to understand how relational databases, like SQL databases, are built and organized.
- Bonus #2 – Crash Course on Data Modeling Tools – Save time and money with clear tool recommendations, free trials, and affordable long-term options so you don’t get stuck.
How the self-paced,
virtual course works
When you join Data Modeling for Business Analysts today, you’ll be starting a self-paced, virtual course that will walk you through all 5 data modeling techniques plus the two bonus modules. You get the luxury of starting exactly when it makes sense for you and participating in the course on your own schedule.
But that’s not enough. I want to take you beyond just knowing…and right into action.
- I’m going to give you templates and sample files for all of the models we cover so you can get a quicker start on your own data modeling.
- What’s more, you’ll receive weekly guidepost emails to keep you focused and moving forward, along with answers to frequently asked questions.
- You’ll also receive email access to our certified, expert instructors who can answer any questions you have about applying the course work in your real-world project environment.
Lessons cover core
data modeling techniques
We cover the core data modeling techniques in a series of video, audio, and written lessons.
- You’ll receive access to new lessons each week, each covering a new data model. The first two lessons are available immediately upon making your investment.
- Lessons are provided in video mp4 and audio mp3 format so you can stream them or download them to your mp3 player and listen when it’s convenient for you.
- Full-text PDF transcripts are also provided so you don’t have to take detailed notes, or if you want to quickly refer back to a key point.
Video lessons range from 20 to 51 minutes each, so they are easy to incorporate into your work day or commute.
(Since these lessons are available for you at any time, there’s no need to reschedule your work commitments or weekend plans and you can fully participate in the course regardless of where in the world you live. Simply carve out an hour or two each week to work through them when it’s convenient for you.)
Weekly guidepost emails
keep you focused and moving
Each week you’ll receive an email from us letting you know about the new lessons you have access to and addressing some of the more frequently asked questions that come up about each model.
These emails will help you stay focused and remind you to carve out a little bit of time each week to make it through the lessons, so you can receive all of the benefits of clearer communication. They’ll ensure you stay motivated and moving, even though you are participating in a self-paced format.
But there’s one more component of the course, and it’s essentially important. So let’s talk about that next.
Templates and swipe files
give you a quick start
We want to be sure you have everything you need to apply these data modeling techniques in your business analyst work. That’s why you’ll receive several templates and swipe files as part of each lesson.
- 2 Glossary Templates (Word and Excel)
- ERD swipe file (Visio)
- System Context Diagram swipe file (Visio)
- Data Dictionary Template and Sample (Excel)
- Data Map Template (Excel)
I’ll even demonstrate via video exactly how to use the templates and swipe files so you’ll get to see the analytical, creative process in action and have no doubts about what tools to use and how to use them.
And of course, the templates and swipe files are editable so you can add content from your own business domain and show them to your business users and technical stakeholders.
Gain confidence with
confidential instructor feedback
on your real-world project work
One of the biggest challenges with any course is incorporating what you have learned theoretically into your real life at work. The unique Bridging the Gap learning model is specifically designed to take you beyond book learning and into actually implementing a better business analysis approach.
- First, you receive access to our certified instructors via email to ask any question about the course materials or how to apply the data modeling techniques in your real-world project work.
- Second, this confidential on-hand support lasts for a full 90 days, so you have plenty of time to receive support on a variety of real-world project situations.
- Third, guidance is provided on your actual project work, not a fictitious case study, so you don’t have to do something ‘extra’ just to benefit from or complete the course. (And if you aren’t currently working as a business analyst, don’t worry, we provide plenty of scenarios for you to apply data modeling techniques outside a formal BA role.)
As a participant in Data Modeling for Business Analysts, you’ll translate learning into experience with unprecedented, confidential access to our trusted mentors.
How you can earn
12 PDs, CDUs, or PDUs/Contact Hours
The Data Modeling for Business Analysts class has been endorsed by the International Institute of Business Analysis™ (IIBA®) for 12 PDs or CDUs. Bridging the Gap has also been reviewed and approved as a provider of project management training by the Project Management Institute (PMI). Bridging the Gap has agreed to abide by PMI established quality assurance criteria. Successful completion of the professional credit option of Data Modeling for Business Analysts qualifies for 12 PDUs/Contact Hours.
Your professional credits are backed up by a Certificate of Completion, which you can also use to prove to your employer that you finished the course successfully.
You’ll earn a Certificate of Completion by completing a workbook that includes examples of each of the data modeling techniques, and you have a full 90 days from enrollment to complete your workbook.
Here’s a quick summary of
everything you are about to receive
With Data Modeling for Business Analysts, you’ll have everything you need to learn the data modeling techniques and stay competitive as a business analyst.
Let’s take a quick look at everything you are about to receive when you join Data Modeling for Business Analysts today:
- 5 core lessons covering each data modeling technique.
- 2 bonus modules covering technical concepts for business-focused professionals.
- Downloadable mp4 videos, mp3 audios, and full-text PDF transcripts.
- Templates, swipe files, exercises, and work samples so you can cement your learning.
- Weekly guidepost emails to help you stay focused and motivated.
- Instructor feedback on each of your 5 data models. (Kept confidential.)
- Certificate of Completion (provided requirements are met).
- 12 PDs/CDUs/PDUs/Contact Hours for PMI or IIBA® certification or re-certification.
- 90 days of support with direct email access to our certified instructors.
- 6 months online access to the course materials. (You can also download them for future use.)
The bottom line is that we’re going to cover a lot of ground over the next several weeks, and you’re going to come out the other end with a toolbox full of techniques to improve communication on your projects and get up to speed more quickly.
Enroll now – click below to join
Data Modeling for Business Analysts
This is a premium program that’s more flexible and interactive than any other type of training out there – and yet the investment pales in comparison to a college course.
And unlike a college course, you get the theory AND the practical learning about how these techniques work out in a real-world setting – the type of practical, realistic approaches that employers are looking for.
So go ahead and click the “Join Now” button below to join Data Modeling for Business Analysts for $997 or 3 payments of $347.
One Payment of $997
3 Payments of $347
Remember, if you want a different result in your career, then you have to be willing to take some type of different action.
- Think about how your career will be different when you can learn new business domains with ease and confidence.
- How about when you can work on the higher level, data intensive projects, and when you can communicate effectively with the tech team about how information is stored and managed, so the right decisions get made at the data level.
- How about when you receive real-time feedback from our expert instructors on your data models? What would be possible then?
Finally, let me be clear on something. I’m not some business analyst magician. I have learned a set of techniques that have made me look like the smartest person in the room, even when I’m the one who actually knows the LEAST. Since then, I have continually worked on refining those techniques, adding to those techniques, and perfecting how to apply those techniques in the real world of being a business analyst.
If you’re ready to completely transform your career and look smarter than you feel, while also learning techniques that are popping up all over the place in business analyst jobs, join us today.
Go ahead and click the “Join Now” button below and finish your investment.
One Payment of $997
3 Payments of $347
I think you are going to love yourself for making this investment in you and your career. See you in class.
The Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.